How Consignment Works
Consignment at Alabama Furniture
Our furniture consignments are done on a 120-day agreement with a 50/50 split of the sale of your items. We consign top quality, name brand furniture, home decor, antiques, showroom liquidations, and much more.
How Our Consignment Process Works
Step 1 – Starting the Process
● Send Pictures: E-mail pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org. We cannot accept furniture consignments without pictures or seeing the item in person.
● Provide Details: If possible, please provide the manufacturer, where & when you purchased the piece from, age, dimensions (very important!), or other information that might be helpful.
● Acceptance: We will notify you if your item(s) can be accepted on consignment and assist you in arranging for a drop off or scheduling a pick-up. We DO NOT accept consignments Sundays & Mondays.
● Drop Offs: We accept “drop offs” BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Please limit drop off consignments to 20 items per appointment and make sure your items are carefully packaged. Your items will be tagged for inventorying as time permits and we will notify you if there are items that need to be returned. Please review the description of items we can accept.
Step 2 - Pricing and Terms
● Our pricing formula consists of: condition, age, desirability/demand, original sale price, and in some cases, the current retail price. Any information you can provide will be taken into consideration when the item is priced. We are familiar with the current resale market and final pricing is at our discretion. Remember, our goal is to sell your items and get you the best possible return!
● The consignment term is 120 days. Consignors have 24/7 online access to their inventory at consignor’s login page from our home page. Please note that any items remaining and unsold after 120 days must be picked up within 1 week after the consignment ends or the item will be expired and considered donated. It is the consignor’s responsibility to monitor the consignment term.
● Consignors receive 50% of the sale price.
Step 3 - Getting your items to our store:
● We offer an affordable and professional in-house pick-up/delivery service. Our services are $119 per hour with a one hour minimum charge. The calculation includes the time required to reach the destination, load/unload time, and the return trip. It is possible for you to deliver your merchandise to our store, but please make sure you bring assistance if required. We cannot guarantee someone physically capable of moving heavy items will be on duty.
Step 4 – We take it from there!
● Once the consigned pieces are in our possession, we go about processing them. This includes researching, photographing, pricing, and inventorying. Once all that is finished you’re item is on the market! At this point you should receive an email confirming all the items consigned, the prices they have been listed at, and the end of contract date. If at any point you have any question, concerns, or simply don’t get such an email, please do not hesitate to contact us!
● We will display your furniture to make it as desirable as possible. After all, it is in our interest to sell your merchandise for as much as possible!
● We list most of our furniture online portals, everything is on our website and we have a strong presence on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and mulitple other forms of social media.
● We use local advertising to give your pieces even more exposure in the Houston area. Keep an eye out for us in outlets like the Heights Pages, The Leader, KHOU, & more!
● Our goal is to sell your item within the first 90 days.
● Please remember that all consignors need to have received approval from Alabama Furniture and have scheduled a drop off/pick-up appointment before their items will be allowed in the store.
Step 5 - Payout
● Upon the sale of your item, we write you a check! Checks are available on the 15th day of the month following sale of the item. For example, if your item sells in January, payment is available after February 15.
● We have thousands of consignors, we cannot call you and let you know when an item sells, it is important that you monitor your account online.
Cancellation of Contract:
Consignors may pick up item(s) before the consignment term is up, however, there is a 15% handling fee based on the original sale price of the item. Upon the sending of the email containing the consignor login information, the 120 day contract is officially started and the cancellation fee will apply. Once a Consignor has decided to cancel the contract, they have 7 days to remove the items from Alabama Furniture's property. We are more than happy to help arrange for a re-delivery to your home using our in-house services. Items will remain on the floor, available for sale, until they have been picked up. If the consignors elects to pick up their items themselves, they should make sure they have a vehicle large enough to transport their item(s) and enough help to load it.
How do I prepare my items?
As you prepare to bring your items to the shop, ask yourself, "Would I buy it in its current condition?" If not, take a minute to dust, polish, clean or vacuum your item. We may not accept items that are not adequately prepared for sale - and if we do, we may charge a handling fee to clean, polish, touch-up, repair, etc. Attention to details will make the difference in how well and item looks and sells. Remember, the key to a profitable sale of used furniture is quality control and presentation!
What We Consider Taking
● Bedroom Furniture (Nightstands, Dressers, Bed Frames, Armoires, and Vanities)
● Complete Dining Room Sets
● Dining Room Chairs (Case by Case Basis)
● China Cabinets (Case by Case Basis) & Buffets
● A Wide Variety of Home Decor Accessories
● Jewelry (Name Brand Watches, Precious Stones, Precious Metals, Unique & Exotic Pieces)
● Couture Purses
● Home Lighting (Table Lamps, Floor Lamps, Chandeliers, etc.)
● Accent Tables (Coffee, End, Side, Occasional, & Sofa Tables)
● Any and All Types of Living Room Seating
● Ottomans & Benches
● Media Consoles, Hutches, Cabinets, Bookcases, & Trunks
● Home Office Furniture (Desks, Chairs, File Cabinets, & Secretaries)
● Patio Furniture & Accessories
● Crystal Dinnerware & High End Stemware (Waterford, Lalique, Baccarat, etc.)
● Most Styles of Artwork (Case by Case Basis)
● Numerous Styles of High End Rugs (Case by Case Basis)
● Mirrors (Case by Case Basis)
● Consignments must be in good to mint condition and upholstered items must be clean with no stains, odor, apparent wear, pet hair, fading or sun-bleaching.
What We Absolutely Can't Accept
● Items with missing or broken hardware
● Items in need of repair, cleaning, refinishing or re-upholstery
● Items with cracks, tears, chips, or other damages
● Furniture with noticeable blemishes on the primary surfaces
● Knock-down (self-assembled) or particle-board furniture
● Unframed art, faded prints, art with dated matting/framing
● Waterbeds / mattresses
● Sofa Beds
● Used Toys
● Textiles (tapestries, quilts, linens, clothing, draperies, throw pillows)
● Appliances / computers / electronics (including televisions)
● Everyday kitchenware (cups, mugs, dinner plates, pots & pans, unbranded cutlery, etc.)
● Lamps without shades or with yellowed / damaged shades
● Lamps in need of rewiring or with old / frayed wiring
Please do not be offended if we do not accept all your items. Experience with used and antique furniture has shown what will and won't sell. Alabama Furniture and Accessories, reserves the right to accept and sell items we determine to be saleable. Items that are missing parts or broken will not be accepted. All items must be clean, in good condition, currently in style and in demand. We may not accept items housed in a smoking or pet environment. We retain the right to decline items for consignment based on current inventory levels, asking price, condition or past experience.
● Moving: Pick-up and delivery services are available by our in house movers. All moves are at consignor’s risk. Alabama Furniture will not be liable for any damages due to moving.
● Pricing: Alabama Furniture has been in business for almost 3 decades. We base our prices off experience, current retail prices, and condition of the item. The consignor will be able to monitor the status/price of their items from their login page.
● Discounting: By consigning your pieces with Alabama Furniture, you are agreeing for us to sell your furnishings. In order to help facilitate the flow of pieces, we use time based markdown system. All changes made to the price of an item will be reflected in your consignor's account. We are open to suggestions & requests, but in the end we have ultimate control over the prices of all items.
● Minimums: Thirty days at $10 is our minimum price. An item reaching a discounted price under $10 becomes the property of Alabama Furniture to sell or donate.
● Payment: Money owed consignors is made available on the 15th of the month following the month of sale. The split will be 50% to consignor (minus check fee and other pre-approved charges) and 50% to Alabama Furniture. A cumulative net of $15 is necessary for a check to be cut. A fee of $25 for check re-issue requests may apply.
● Reclaim Responsibilities: Items left on our premises that are too small, damaged, or deemed unsellable WILL BE DONATED. In the event that an item is unsold at the end of the 120 day contract, the consignor has 7 days to arrange pickup of said item. If after the 7 days the item remains on our floor, it is considered donated and property of Alabama Furniture. A storage fee may be assessed on items requested to be held for pickup.
● Damage/Insurance: Alabama Furniture assumes no responsibility for loss, damage, or destruction of any article left on consignment, though every precaution will be taken to prevent the same. It is consignors’ responsibility to KEEP YOUR CONSIGNED ITEMS COVERED BY YOUR HOMEOWNER POLICY.